Monday, September 28, 2009

Futility

Does anyone else ever grow tired of the futility of life? For some reason lately, I've grown to resent that every week I have more laundry to do if I want to wear clean clothes, more groceries to buy if I want fresh food, more cleaning to do if I want to have a sanitary home, and more work to do if I want to keep earning money to pay for all that stuff I keep needing. And I don't even have to do that for a whole family! (although my boyfriend is here often enough that it feels like I'm constantly cooking for/cleaning up after him).

Maybe this is being brought up because I've been home grading papers, inputting grades, cleaning, doing laundry, and whatnot while my boyfriend has gone to a gunshow to buy a shotgun (I told him he was stupid, but he's always wanted to go hunting), spent most of Sunday golfing (which is probably in his top-ten list of things to do), has joined a softball team, and is going dove hunting. Why does he get to have all the fun while I've been working?! Anyway, I get a four-day weekend soon and he doesn't, so I have to think of some really fun stuff to do while he's working to even the score! :-P

Oh yeah, and I have that whole summer thing off... Somehow I always forget about that. I'll be happy with life again when that comes back around! For now, I think I'll go read Ecclesiastes!

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean. It seems like laundry, especially, is never-ending. It makes me scared to have kids!

    A couple of years ago I read a post on Mike Cope's blog that really stuck with me. He was commenting on a line from an opera that says, "Instead of happiness, heaven sends us habit." I try to remind myself to find contentment in routine—to enjoy the smell of clean laundry, to be thankful for all of the dishes I have as I'm putting them away. Because those chores aren't going away, no matter what (well, unless I suddenly become a millionaire and hire a maid). It's difficult, though, to not let the day-to-day tedium of life get me down. You can read Mike's post here: http://preachermike.com/2007/03/02/happiness-and-habits

    ReplyDelete