Saturday, April 18, 2009

Grief

Tuesday after school one of my (9 yr-old) girls had to call 911 because her dad was having a heart attack. He died that night. She came to school the next two days, and only missed on Friday becuase her family was preparing for the memorial and funeral. She didn't really cry much.

I don't know if her lack of tears are more of her simply not understanding the finality of her dad being gone, or her not feeling the need to cry... I know they were close though, and that is is upset and worried about her family.

I'm not quite 3 times her age, but when my dad dies, I'm not going to be good for anything for a while. I certainly won't be at school, and at the memorial I probably won't even be able to see through my tears.

But luckily, I've made my dad promise not to die until after I have a husband, so he'll be alive for a while yet!

1 comment:

  1. How sad. I imagine she was in shock. She will probably cry later. A similar thing happened to my best friend when she was in middle school only it was her grandpa. (Her dad died of a heart attack a few years later.) It was very hard. It's probably good for the girl to stick to her normal schedule as much as possible, though. I'll be praying for her.

    ReplyDelete