Sunday, January 25, 2009

what's next?!

So I've been recovering from mono rather nicely. I'm still more tired than I'd like, and of course, ridiculously behind on work, but I shouldn't complain. I know it normally takes people a couple weeks of almost total down time to recover, and I only missed one day of school (well, and I left early on our "workday").

However, I noticed that I have hives on Friday. I couldn't figure out anything new in my life that caused an allergic reaction, so I headed back to the doctor (I'm afraid of ending up in the hospital because I've ignored warning signs like I did last year) to get checked out. Luckily, my blood test showed that the hives were most likely the result of my body still fighting off the mono, so I'm not likely to keel over and die any time soon. The doctor said it might last another 4 or 5 days, so I just have to walk around a little splotchy and take medicine to avoid getting too itchy.

I am starting to fear what unexpected physical ailment will befall me next, however. My coworkers avoid getting too close to me, my students worriedly ask me if I'm ok, and my friends and family make fun of me (once they're sure I'm actually ok, of course). Fortunately, a strange childhood has taught me to appreciate the weird and ironic in life, so I'm finding the whole situation rather amusing. However, I feel like the girl in A Bad Case of the Stripes by David Shannon (it's a great kids' book that I think you should pick up and read sometime), and I would like to know when I get to be normal again!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm glad you're blogging again. I'm so sorry you have mono. That stinks! I admire you for trying to see the humorous side of it, though.

    ReplyDelete