Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Moving

Can I vent about how much I hate moving? I take that as a yes...

I am getting more and more OCD (yes, I know you college friends probably find it hard to believe), and I can't stand having things out of place or not knowing where they are. That being said, moving is extremely difficult on my mental health. Also, I'm not very strong, so as I move things, I tend to use my whole body and end up with sore muscles and bruises all over. Therefore, moving is not so great for my physical health either.

So two weeks ago I spend some time on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday helping my good friend Erin move. She's helped me several times, so I had no problem with it. Except the chaos. Stuff was everywhere and I had to strain pretty hard to not develop some kind of muscle twitch. I was helping her pack the old place, and I had to crawl all over random things. I'm aware that most of the world packs that way. I, however, do not. I do one or two boxes at a time, and keep them pushed aside so they don't stand in the way of anything else. Then I have to stack them in a corner so I cna pretend not to notice them. And even then I'm more prone to emotional episodes due to how out of control things get.

That Friday night after my boyfriend got off work, he had to start moving. He, of course, hadn't packed a single thing. So I ended up packing a lot of his stuff and helping him move all but the heavist of it. His move continued until Sunday. That makes 5 days in a row of moving (not constant moving, but still the chaos of it all).

So this past week, I spent time packing up my apartment for my move starting tomorrow. I also finally got to go into my classroom, which I have to UNpack from getting new flooring. And there was no A/C at school, plus everything was covered in a fine layer of concrete dust (don't ask). Oh, and did I mention that all of the furniture was stacked on top of other furniture, plus some of the bottom layers were glued to the ground because of the clear coat on top of the tile? Several bruises appeared from me trying to move a large table, bookshelf, and refridgerator off of heights by myself.

Suffice it to say, I'm sick and tired of moving and I haven't even picked up the key to my new apartment! But the boyfriend did help me move a lot of stuff into his truck tonight and tomorrow I'll get my key and take little stuff over. Then Thursday I've hired movers for all my big furniture (thankfully, Erin had too) because there is no way I could get that myself. But they charge by the hour so I'll be spending several hours myself (and getting Erin and Josh to help in the evening) moving stuff in so I don't have to spend as much money.

After all this, I've concluded that I either need to never move again or let go of many of my material items.... I think we all know which one of those I'm most likely to choose! ;-)

2 comments:

  1. I empathize. I moved a few weeks ago, and it sucks. Moving in college was a breeze because I could fit everything into my car, but not anymore! Stupid furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate moving, too! Darby and I got rid of so much stuff before moving to Illinois, but it's all crept back in. I dread our next move. Also, I sent your b-day card to your old address. I hope you get it!

    ReplyDelete